Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Reading Kit

I love playing summer reading games with my children.  I think it is so much to track our reading - especially since we do so much!  And it's a great way to spend a rainy summer day!  We usually participate in the summer reading game at our local library.  But this year we also signed up for one through Journey Forth:
It's from BJU Press, some of you might be familiar with their homeschool products.  It's worth checking into, since they are offering a Kindle Fire as a Grand Prize for the game.  Plus, they have a wonderful list of great books to read, divided by age groups.

I poked around online (I love pinterest for this) and found some great resources for tracking your summer reading.  I pinned my favorite here.  I was only able to get the printable to open in my picture viewer and since I'm not all that computer savvy, I decided to make a few adjustments and make my own version.  I love how it turned out!  And today is the day we are going to get started on it!  (It really helps that it's a rainy day, too.)


Here is the Summer Reading Kits my kids are receiving today. 
I placed their logs inside library pockets (the same ones I used for our Tricky Tic Tac Toe game).
The logs are made to look like the old fashioned library cards!



I added labels to the outside of each library pocket, so we would know whose was whose. I also added a pencil (not sure if this will stay, but it fit nicely in the pockets).


And I made baggy toppers for a fun treat - gummy worms to snack on while they read!  I used snack size baggies and cut off the zipper portion.  Filled each with about 6 gummy worms (we don't want them consuming too much sugar all at once!).  My baggy was slightly longer the my baggy topper, so when I folded the topper over the open portion of the baggy I folded the excess ends of the baggy around back and stapled it all together at these two end spots.  I hope this is clear - the picture above may help. 

Here's a pdf version for you!

You can add your child's name or initials to the labels with a pen or marker.  Everything else is ready to go. 

Let me know if you plan to use my Summer Reading Kit - I'd love to hear from you! 
If you have other plans for your summer reading, I'd love to hear about them, too!


1 comment:

  1. I also found the summer reading program at BJU press and the Kindle Fire looks very appealing ... I think we'll also sign up for our local library's program. Thank you for sharing your kit! Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete