Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Tree Treats

So far this is a favorite for the season!  We made Christmas Tree Treats.  These are great because you not only get to design, but you also get to devour!  As you can see in this adorable photo, my Little Squirt wasted no time in the devouring part.





These are very fun and simple to make.  All you need is sugar cones (for ice cream),








some vanilla frosting, green food coloring, mini M&M's and any other decorations you want to add.  My kids were content with just the M&M's.  Mix the food coloring into the frosting to get your desired color of green.  Have the kids frost their cones completely.  Set the cones upside down and decorate.

This was day 2 in our advent activities.  I actually had done this activity the day before at our monthly co-op meeting with the preschool class.  So my Little Squirt already had his made, but I still wanted to do this with my older two kids.  I was planning on doing some Christmas shopping that evening, so my wonderful hubby gladly offered to do this fun project with them - isn't he great!  And he even took pictures for me, too!  Maybe he should be writing this post . . . well, we won't push it.

Just a few tips . . . apply the frosting liberally to the cones - it helps the decorations to stick.  We also used large popsicle sticks (or tongue depressors) to apply the frosting to the cones and this worked pretty well.  Also, you might want to take your pics and then let the kids eat them right away.  Even waiting a few hours causes the cone to soften.  They taste much better fresh with a crisp cone. 

Part way through, and much to my pleasure, my kiddos fizzled out on the eating.  We don't eat a ton of sweets around here normally.  And this treat was definitely sweet, so a little bit was enough for them.  In fact, my Curly Girlie only ate her M&M's. 

But they loved this advent activity!  And I hope your family will love this fun and simple project, too.

Classified: Mom         abc button    Teach Me Tuesday at Whole Child Creative Curriculum

6 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea!! It would be great to add these to a gingerbread house scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Rebekah! I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made these last year & they were a big hit with my kids! FUn to make & FUN to eat!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Glad you had fun :o) Erica @ www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I love how little fingers can make them all by themselves! I'd like to invite you to share this post at my new link party: Teach Me Tuesday! You can link up at http://wholechildcreativecurriculum.blogspot.com/2011/12/teach-me-tuesday-new-linky-party.html. I hope to see you there!

    Carla @ Whole Child Creative Curriculum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday! I hope to see you again next week!

    Carla @ Whole Child Creative Curriculum

    ReplyDelete