Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Math Fun - Part 1

Basic math facts are a key component of early math.  Later math learning will be so much easier if the basic math facts are down pat.  Yet, learning math facts can sometimes be a struggle.  Some kids take great to the flash card method.  Others "see" math better though manipulatives.   Others might find songs to be a help in getting those math facts drilled in.  And sometimes a variety of concepts is need before these facts are committed to memory.  The great thing about math is that there are so many fun ways to practice these math facts.
 
Our newest practice is these Addition Charts.  My goal with these charts was to help my children "see" the numbers and how they work together. 
 

The charts were made to be cut apart, so that only one sum is focused on at one time.  Then, the child can work with manipulatives, finger counting, etc. to fill in the chart with all the possible addends for that sum. 

 
I laminated my charts, which allows us to use (and reuse) them for more practice, with a dry erase marker.  Plus, my kiddos just love using the dry erase markers - it feels like something different than just regular old pencil and paper work. 
 
 
 
I can just hand my child the stack and let them work at it at their own pace.  Or we make it a race to beat the timer.  Occassionally, we will grab some counters to help fill in our charts.  But my real goal here is that the child will see how the numbers work together to create that sum. 
 
To grasp that on one side of our chart the numbers "grow" and the other side the numbers "shrink" is a big step toward mastering the basic math facts for that sum.  

If you'd like a copy of my set of Addition Charts click the link below!
Addition Charts


I created a cover sheet for the top and a direction sheet for the back.  The charts can be bound together, hole punched for a binder ring, or just held together with a clip, as I did here.  I hope you find these Addition Charts an added help to your basic math fact practice. 
 
 
Added bonus: these charts can also be used with subtraction!  Take the number at the top and subtract a number from one side of your chart and your difference will be the number on the other side of the chart. 
 
I'd love to hear how you use these charts!  Leave me a comment and let me know how they are working for you.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment